Originally a 1950’s, 3,000 sq. ft. Brittany Farmhouse, this house was transformed into a modern, family friendly, 6,900 sq. ft. Mediterranean Revival styled masterpiece.
The original structure featured an open atrium courtyard within the center of the home which the homeowners wished to preserve and enclosed the roof. To achieve keeping the natural light, a valuable asset to the home, a glass roof was constructed to cover the open area.
Many of the original rooms, radiating from the central courtyard, remained within the new design. A curved stairway was added around one side of the courtyard to access the new second level where the master suite was located opposite the secondary bedrooms offering privacy for the homeowners.
The exterior elevations were designed to pay homage to the 1920’s Spanish and Mediterranean Revival homes that surround the area. Due to the extreme slope from the street, the front of the home needed to rise proportionally to be viewed properly from the roadway. Separating the new 3 car garage from the main residence, an exterior arcade, which existed on the original home, created arches so the owners can access the rear of the property from the garage through the breezeway.